We have already started our 2008 CHS. This year I am trying a different approach. It will be more structured using a combination of Singapore kindergarten and P1 syllabus as guidelines.
This year’s objectives may seem to be more aggressive, but there is nothing to worry about. We are pretty flexible with what we want to do for our CHS and it is still very much child-driven. If The girl enjoys, we will do it. If she is not, I can always teach her some other time. ：）
This year’s objectives (tentative):-
– I want to start The girl on writing. She already writes reasonably well for her numbers and alphabets, so I don’t see there is any problem with learning to write Chinese characters.
-Basic Chinese strokes : 丿,捺, 竖, 横, 点 etc
– Simple Chinese characters – such as 山, 土, 木 (words with radicals focus).
– The girl loves reading, so I hope to read more books with her this year.
– We have also started reading some hand-me-down easy reader books. So far she is making good progress in reading these books by herself. I’m trying to make it a daily routine for her to read these books to me, and hopefully she will pick up new words through repetitive reading.
3. Introduction of “句子重组”.
4. Simple hanyu pinyin intonation – the 4 sounds.
5. New word lists – (To be decided later.)
6. Learning Chinese through music appreciation.
– The children love songs and I am running out of Chinese children songs. So this year I may have to start teaching them some oldies or even pop songs. The girl has already picked up the “月亮代表我的心” song and she learnt some new expressions from this song too.
This year’s objectives may seem a little more aggressive, but there is nothing to worry about. We are pretty flexible with what we want to do for our CHS and it is still very much child-driven. If The girl enjoys, we will do it. If she is not, I can always teach her some other time. ：）
(Shanice, if you are reading this, may have to ask u to recommend some nice and meaningful songs to me la. Best if you can introduce those that can be downloaded from web or can be found in youtube. Thanks in advance!)