Either my hubby is seriously deprived of the carrot cake (Chai tao kway or 菜头粿, and not this sweet Western carrot cake) or he is a easily contented person. According to him, this simple carrot cake bento is one of the best lunch I’ve made for him. LOL. Hmm… or is he implying that the food i normally made for him… sucks?
For the past few years, I have always used radish (daikon) to make my carrot cake. Since I was in experimental mood, I replaced the radish with shredded carrots this time. Comparing with the daikon cake, I don’t find there is much difference in taste except that the steamed cake made with carrots is slightly sweeter and the texture is a little firmer than the daikon cake.
Anyway, here’s the carrot cake recipe that I have been using.
This recipe can also be used for steamed yam cake or steamed pumpkin cake. Just replaced the carrots/radish with cubed yam or pumpkin.
Group A : 1200ml water
350g rice flour
20g tapioca flour
Group B : 2tsp minced garlic
50g (or 2 sticks) Chinese sausage, finely chopped.
50g dried shrimps, soaked and finely chopped
150g carrots -peeled and shedded
Seasoning : salt, soya sauce, pepper, chicken stock granules (optional) to taste – make it slightly more salty than u normally like becos the mixture in A has no seasoning.
1. Grease the baking tin and prepare a pot of boiling water for steaming.
2. Combine Ingredients A and mix well.
3. Heat 1 Tsp oil in wok and stir fry dried shrimps until fragrant, then add minced chinese sausage and garlic and stir fry until fragrant.
4. Add shredded radish (or diced yam) and seasoning. Stir fry briefly.
5. Add Ingredient A and stir constantly until you feel that the mixture is thickening (or glue-like).
6. Pour mixture into baking tin and steam over high heat fopr about 40mins.
7. Remove and let cool.
There are many ways of eating the carrot cake. For this bento, I just fried the carrot cake with chopped preserved radish, minced garlic, eggs, and Chinese fish sauce. I hope to try the black version, called the char kway one day. If I’m successful, I will share with you the recipe.