Hand drum has been a popular toy for Chinese kids since long long time ago. The drum kind of resemble a rattle. When you twist it in hand, the beads would bounce on the drum and make noise. It is quite fun and if you do it correctly, you may even get a good rhythm going! I thought it will make a very nice Chinese New Year craft to do with the kids and I was right, the kids really had a great time making this craft with me. 😀
As you probably already know, Valentine’s Day this year marks the start of the Year of the Tiger on the Chinese Lunar Calendar. So, we decorated the hand drum with a simple paper Valentine Tiger face.
2x small paper plates
1x Balloon stick (You also can use a tongue depressor or disposable chopstick)
Construction papers – Orange, Black for the face & stripes of the Tiger. I used pink hearts for the nose, eyes & ears, you can certainly change it to your
yarn – about 45-55cm long
colorful markers – We used both permanent and washable markers.
1. Make the Tiger face with the construction papers.
a. First, cut out a 10mm diameter orange & black color circles , which will be the Tiger’s head and its ears & stripes.
b. Cut the black circle into 4 quarters. 2 quarters will be the tiger’s ears and use the other 2 quarters for its stripes.
c. Cut 5 heart shapes which will be used as the eyes, nose and ears of the tiger.
d. Finally, glue, assemble the tiger parts and add some finishing touches to the tiger face.
2. Glue the finished Tiger face onto one of the paper plates.
3. Use a good scotch tape to tape the stick down on the 2nd paper plate.
4. String and tie some beads on both ends of the yarn.
5. Tape the yarn on the 2nd paper plate. Make sure both sides are approximately the same length.
6. Assemble and staple both paper plates together and now you have the basic Chinese hand drum!
7. Decorate your hand drum to give a Chinese New Year feel.
8. Finally, put on the Chinese New Year music and make some happy noise with your homemade Chinese hand drum!
Enjoy and have fun!!
Here’s a video of the girl playing with her homemade hand drum!
Other related posts:
See our other Chinese New Year craft here!